Understanding new concepts or subjects
- ScienceDirect Topics (https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/index) provide concept definitions and subject overviews for researchers who want to expand their knowledge about scholarly and technical terms. Each synopsis provides a series of short, authoritative, excerpts from highly relevant book chapters written by subject matter experts in the field. These topic summaries are derived from Elsevier encyclopedias, reference works and books.
- eLS (formerly known as the Encyclopedia of Life Sciences) (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/book/10.1002/047001590X) is a monthly-updating reference work containing over 5,000 specially commissioned, peer-reviewed and citable articles written by leaders in the field. It offers comprehensive and authoritative coverage of the life sciences for students, lecturers and researchers alike.
Guidelines for scientific research
- Uri Alon. How to choose a good sientific problem. Molecular Cell 2009, 35(6):726-728. DOI:10.1016/j.molcel.2009.09.013; PMID:19782018
- Reading the book Bioinformatics Data Skills is recommended for mastering basic skills of bioinformatics.
- R programming language is recommended for creating reproducible and publication-quality figures. RStudio makes R easy to use. The R manuals, CRAN task views, and Bioconductor workflows are good resources for learning and using R. ggplot2 is a system for declaratively creating graphics with rich extensions. swirl teaches you R programming and data science interactively, at your own pace, and right in the R console!
- A collection of books related to data visualization:
- Envisioning Information. By Edward R. Tufte. May 1, 1990. https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/books_ei
- Modern Statistical Graphics (in Chinese). By Peng Zhao, Yihui Xie, Xiangyun Huang. 2021. https://bookdown.org/xiangyun/msg/
- R for Data Science. By Hadley Wickham & Garrett Grolemund. 2017. https://r4ds.had.co.nz/
- ggplot2 - Elegent Graphics for Data Analysis. By Hadley Wickham. 2016. https://ggplot2-book.org/
- Data Integration, Manipulation and Visualization of Phylogenetic Trees. By Guangchuang Yu. 2022. https://yulab-smu.top/treedata-book/index.html
- Biomedical Knowledge Mining using GOSemSim and clusterProfiler. By Guangchuang Yu. 2022. https://yulab-smu.top/biomedical-knowledge-mining-book/index.html